Anglesey Hussars

Home

Events

History of A troop RHA.

History of Royal Caernarf. Rifle Corps

Gallery

Links

Contact us

How to join

 

A Brief history of the 7th Hussars

Undeniably the 7th Hussars were the embodiment of dash and panache for which every cavalry regiment strives. Nicknamed "The Saucy Seventh" they were notably recognised as a fashionable regiment.

The roots of the 7th Hussars date back to 1690 when Colonel Richard Cunningham was ordered to relinquish his foot command and and take over a regiment of Dragoons. The dragoon regiment sent, in March 1692 to Edinburgh to assist in law and order duties

In 1750 George II signed a warrant numbering Regiments, thus the 7th Queen's Own Regiment of Dragoons. Another titular change took place in 1783 when the 7th were converted to the (Queen's Own) Light Dragoons.

A decade later, their most celebrated patrons joined, Lord Henry Paget, Later the Marquis of Anglesey and John Gaspard Le Marchant, the founder of the Royal Military College at Sandhurst.

Back in England George, the Prince of Wales, was the arbiter of all fashion and as such he decided to bestow first on his own regiment, the 10th, the distinction of being Hussars in 1806. Lord Paget, now Colonel of the 7th Hussars was a friend of the Prince and thus the 7th were the second regiment to be granted the magnificent uniforms in the same year.

In October 1808 the 7th Hussars embarked for Corunna to reinforce Sir John Moore's Army. A year later the 7th were hurriedly mobilised on hearing the news that Napoleon had escaped by the Elba. Their Brigade Commander was the late Commanding Officer, Maj General Sir Hussey Vivian and their regimental Colonel, Henry Paget, Lord Uxbridge was commander of the whole British Cavalry.

On the eve of the Battle of Waterloo the 7th were Honoured by Uxbridge by being given the charge on the advancing enemy in Genappe, who were Polish Lancers. After a spirited and fearless succession of charges only nineteen of the 120 men of the 7th Hussars squadron were left in the saddle. For the Battle of Waterloo itself, the 7th were on the extreme right of the allied line, 300 yards north of the Chateau of Hougoumont. Until 5pm they were not used, but then they were charged more than twelve times.

In 24 hours the 7th Hussars had lost two Officers killed, and eleven wounded, sixty two other ranks killed and 109 wounded, not to mention Uxbridge losing his leg to gain a marquessate.

www.qrh.org.uk/history2.htm